This is a land led scheme on a split site, with Seddon owning a section and Trafford Housing Trust (THT) owning the other. Seddon purchased THT land, with our planning and development team taking it through viability, development and planning to build for Seddon Homes and JV development partners THT and London and Quadrant Housing.
The £3.831 build out contract was for the design and build of 45 new apartments over two-blocks, consisting of:
- 24 for affordable rent
- 21 for open market sale
Despite the challenges, the Team “got the job finished”, to the full satisfaction of multiple stakeholders. This has assisted in paving the way for more works with Trafford Housing Trust.
With a challenging 60-week build program the completion dates had to be achieved for Trafford Housing Trust to receive Homes England funding.
- A landlocked site on a busy main road.
- With no parking on site, we acquired land adjacent.
- Varying level changes requiring sheet piling in various locations.
- Uncharted services when completing the sewer connection added four-weeks to the programme.
- Due to legal issues with adjacent land, Seddon were unable to utilise a pedestrian crane.
- Client enhancements throughout delivery.
- Heavy rain added another week to the programme.
- Potential presence of unexploded bombs, with risk mitigated with UXO Surveys before starting works.
Seddon overcome these challenges by altering the build sequence and accelerating production. We worked with the supply chain and supplemented them with directly employed operatives.
Oversailing issues meant we could not use a tower crane, so we changed method of build. We programmed in “lifting days”, which minimised safety risk to the operatives on site.
With an already strong relationship with THT, this project perfectly demonstrates collaborative working to maintain our place as one of the UKs leading regional contractors.