Seddon successfully delivered the design and reinstatement of the historic conservatory roof, key issues included management of health and safety, communication, achieving the contract programme, conservation, discharge of all statutory conditions, and managing the movement of materials, people and deliveries in a live environment with heavy public footfall.
Reinstatement of a conservatory roof to a Grade 2 listed building located in the courtyard of the 19th Century Castle within the popular grounds of Alton Towers.
The conservatory is a prominent feature of the south side of the house and runs out from the main drawing room. The design was particularly interesting as Alton Towers had a drawing signed by the architect Thomas Hopper which dated back to 1815. This showed the detail of a window mullion which we were tasked with matching to form the mullions in the new conservatory.
Working collaboratively with Alton Towers and the design team we used historic information including Pugin drawings from the period, and researched photographs to ensure the successful replication and refurbishment of the conservatory roof. Further works incorporated during the construction stage included reinstatement of replica cast iron doors made from aluminium. These ensured the design requirements were met, whilst providing a far lighter solution for everyday ease of use by staff.
To ensure the programme was delivered in the challenging 20 week period specific elements were constructed offsite to increase the speed of erection. This was also advantageous as it reduced the number of deliveries, provided effective material management and minimised disruption to the popular theme park, ensuring they could continue with their operations and activities as normal.
Our site manager liaised daily with the appointed representative from Alton Towers to communicate our works, agree deliveries and monitor the surrounding perimeter, thereby ensuring our works were segregated and did not affect customers attending the park.